Strike Three Press
Subscribe to the print edition of
Artist Book News
Medieval Bookbinding Structure Models
Girdle book, a medieval binding structure featuring a long extension of leather, which could be attached to a traveler's belt. $750.
Medieval cut-away binding model, lacing and covering appear in process to reveal how the binding is constructed. $500.
Both models include a twelve-page, illustrated booklet with bibliography outlining the construction of medieval bindings in general and the girdle book in particular. Text block size for both models is 4.75" x 3.25" x 1.25".
||Both models display features typical of medieval bindings:
• Text block sewn on double supports
• Sewn headbands
• Spine linings extend beyond the text block and attach to the inside of the boards
• Text block laced onto shaped wooden boards and cords pegged in
The girdle book model also includes:
• Full covering in vividly-colored pig suede, deerskin or velvet also available
• Strap and pin closure
• Corner bosses
• Vellum foredge markers
• Turk's head knot to finish leather extension at the binding's tail